Thursday, October 06, 2005

Done til SAGA! part one

Today marks the end of a collection for me, as I found the last figure I wanted from Hasbro’s Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, one Commander Gree. I’m going to take a moment and reflect back on this line, which has surprised so many with it’s quality and breadth.

I was against buying this line prior to release, having felt somewhat disenchanted with Star Wars toys after getting a few Episode I figures when they came out. They weren’t especially bad, but like the movie they were based on, felt rather boring. I completely skipped over the Attack of the Clones line after seeing how preposed they were - a big pet peeve of mine.

However I’d been hearing about the super-articulated Clone Trooper figures released for Episode II, those sounded like a fun toy, and I started looking into them on ebay, but the prices wanted were ridiculous, so I decided to ignore Star Wars entirely.

Unfortunately for me, Marvel Legends series nine was taking it’s sweet time arriving locally. As I scoured Walmart and Toys R Us several times a week after the Episode III toys were released, I couldn’t help seeing the huge sections alloted to them. Every trip, as I came up empty for ML9, I spent more time looking at the racks of EpIII figures. I’d missed out on the Clones, and did not see a single one until several weeks into April. Then one Saturday at Wal Mart, I saw multiple clones and Imperial Guards, and decided to give them a chance. I picked up a couple clones, and found out why they were being referred to as “Cracktroopers” - they were addictive. I was hooked.

I decided to only collect a few figures I wanted as they came out, just the really cool ones - clones, maybe a couple of Jedi. My next purchase was Count Dooku, and what good is a Sith Lord without any Jedi to fight. So I picked up my two favorite Jedi figures, Plo Kloon and Aayka Secura. And then two more. And more. And more...

In the end I didn’t buy all the figures released in the line, so I can’t claim a complete collection. I passed on most of the droids, wookies, some of the weaker variants (Collection 2 Yoda, the Vader). But I made up for the skipped over figures with multiples of the ones I liked. I ended up with three General Grievous’, the Preview, the Deluxe, and the first basic figure. I tried passing on the Senator figures but they were actually pretty good.

I even bought two vehicles, which I didn’t have room for - the Clone Trooper Gunship, and Obi-Wan’s starfighter. I’ll probably end up buying Plo Kloon’s starfighter when it comes out - why? It’s just cool.

The line overall is a major upgrade in quality from Hasbro. Sure, some figures are poor, like the battle droids which are just bad rehashes. Some greatly-anticipated figures like Commander Bacara turned out to be marred by insanely dumb action features. But by and large the figures that count have turned out great. Count Dooku, Pilot Gear Obi-Wan(#55), Super Articulated Clone Trooper #41, Kit Fisto, these are among some of the most purely fun figures of any line out this year.

Going to break down the figures from Return of the Sith in a separate update(yeah going to talk about them all! Don’t blame you if you don’t read it all, but might be a nice guide for some).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home